Friday, October 7, 2011

DIY: Ice Cream (Sundae) Place Card Holders

Squeeze a rock hard enough and a gem pops out. A day before Mandarin's birthday party, I was still in need of place card holders. I found it to be one of those decorative details that mattered when it came to the overall design of her party. And since my husband and I were unwilling to spend a ridiculous amount for the boring set of hearts and spheres sold at craft stores, we juiced our thoughts for something more exciting. 

It started with popsicle sticks. A grueling twenty minutes. Wood glue. Maybe a wood saw and a large question mark on how to make it all work together. Finally I ended up in the plant section of our craft store, picked out an adorable glass pot which I initially thought I'd fill with sand to hold the stick upright. 

Mister (Hubby ♥) grabbed a small styrofoam ball and checked if it was a good fit. It sat perfectly on the lip of the pot and we both thought - ice cream!  I figured the leftover japanese tissue paper I had left would cover the ball perfectly.


A small glass cup, craft sticks, styrofoam ball, pastel tissue paper, crinkled paper  (can be found at craft stores - used as fillers for gift bags etc.) 
Carefully round out the tissue paper around the styrofoam ball. Be gentle, they tear easily. Fill the small cup with the filler paper - just about halfway.

And just like that. You've gotten crafty!

Vintage Ice Cream Parlor Printouts
Thank you very much! 

Place card holders - in less than 10 minutes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...