Monday, August 6, 2012

Here and There

The desk that I am currently working in is a great mirror of the random events in my life as of late.  A beach themed birthday card that opens to the first few chords of Hawaiian-nified Somewhere Over the Rainbow, a little bag of Excedrin migraine pills and Orange Dayquil poppers, a Costco coupon book, my very much neglected planner, a few embossed glittery stickers, keys, pens and markers, a Mickey Mouse DVD, a nine inch rubber number 1, business cards, and a very filthy square of measuring tape which has seen its share of DIY projects.

It's been so long since I last posted, overwhelmed with other things that need immediate attention like the peaks and ranges of laundry that's piled up in the bedroom. Difficult as it may seem, as with other things in life, you just need to sort through it one by one until you emerge from the throes of clutter with a calm sense of Zen.  Which I am still, currently, desperately trying to achieve. I still manage to function with the daily toils of life, plan events and attend parties and baby showers - even bachelorette parties and weddings. Especially the past two months which was chock full of weekend excitement catching up with well loved friends and family. Basically, I've gone off my hamster wheel of daily routes, exhausted, yet nonetheless thankful that I at least do not live a life of stagnancy.


"When they smashed my heart into smithereens, be a bright red rose come busting the concrete." 
Hitting it right home, Coldplay. 

We are emotionally pivoting between two life changing events, coming home to visit family and friends after many many years of not having done so. Meeting new family members, and properly grieving for a beloved few that have gone. Young and old. The other event is buying a house. A grueling process that I have now discovered is every bit emotional as it is financial. It is a delicate line to cross. Moving into a house you've already lived in for so many years with furniture and personal touches of taste and character that isn't yours, yet living with it as if it were your own, having its story weave into your own.  Now somewhat halfway between the journey and the destination, you can't really tell what is yours and what isn't. 

If only it was as easy as diving into a pile of laundry. There simply is a lot to sort through. I could load everything and leave it to its cycles of wash rinse and repeat for an hour or so knowing the outcome every single time, clothes that smell fresh like a breeze running through a field of flowers. At least that's what the box says. I think it smells more like the comfort and satisfaction of something being sorted, cleaned and folded. 

I can't help but feel slightly guilty for neglecting my dearest blog for the past few months. It's gotten me through complicated times and will most definitely anchor my sanity for the coming months ahead. Specially now that we're leaving in a few days, crossing the Pacific away from our morning blanket of fog and crisp summer afternoons and landing into the current unpredictable monsoon season that beckons childhood memories and the warm fizzle of nostalgia. Both of them, now home to two different sides of myself where there's probably a story that needs to be told all while jumping right into the thick of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...