Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sew Be It.

And sew it begins. Clueless, I walked into Joann Fabrics yesterday to find some backing material, embroidery floss, some pins and needles for the QUILT undertaking I’ve set my heart on doing. I left the store with everything on my list coupled with knots in my gut for the mission on hand. 





Fabric of choice for the quilt's back part

How do they do it? Those amazing DIY women who make crafting seem so easy, and still manage to sneak in a gorgeous all-telling photograph of each and every step.  Probably all second nature to them for sure, but I am positive that it can be learned given the proper motivation. 

The sewing machine used to be the best Lola (grandmother) appendage. Just right in there with thick glasses, a perm, floral dusters, Lola kisses, and the odd smelling perfume with the viscosity of glue. Growing up, only grandmothers sat behind them yet these days either I’ve rapidly aged in my thirties or the prospect of getting behind this daunting machine has become more of a creative outlet. The sewing machine is now like that mystery girl you bump into at a Radiohead concert with the Anthropologie scarf and the feather earrings that you want to be friends with. You know you have things in common but you don’t know where to start the conversation.  

My grandmother is a grand master of the sewing craft. She can make everything from table linens to curtains to pillows, so there must be a tiny speck of genetic DNA that made its way into my cup of capabilities. 

Still.

Out of the box It smelled like musty cinnamon. Is there even such a thing? I know I’m supposed to wash it, but given that the listing mentioned that it’s twenty years older than me, I can’t just throw it in the wash and bleach the antiquated dust out of it. Must handle with love. 



Yardage, batting, french knots, binding, yo-yo’s, cutaways, feed sacks, tacking,  -  these are all jargon to me. Give me iambic pentameters and villanelles, oxymorons and synecdoche and I can have a conversation with you. At this point, I am clueless and yet hopeful to the possibilities that stand before me in this crafting threshold. It only takes one step to walk through. 

So. What to do after the quilt top you've purchased arrives? 

Say, HI. 


Hello there

I can already tell that we’re going to have a long and lasting friendship.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...