Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SIX Months!



Ten things I know for sure about our 6 month old LittleLove:

1.   Eating solids is a challenge of patience, but once her attention is caught, she  
       will lap it up, even chase after the spoon!
2.   She loves to stand and jump. On your knee. Your belly. Your foot. The 
      bouncer. Couch. Bed. Table. Floor. 
3.   She fishes for your attention and once she catches your eye, she flashes the 
      biggest smile!
4.   My god, the girl loves to laugh - and what a voice!!!
5.   Elephants, Giraffes and Bunnies are her favorite animals. 
6.   Anything she gets her hand on she will put in her mouth. Even your finger. or hair. 
7.   She’s a morning person and is never grumpy when she wakes up.
8.   When she’s happy she opens her mouth (as if to eat you) and crinkles her nose.
9.   Why she loves label tags on her toys, blankets, and clothes I will never know. 
10. She loves the outdoors - trees and flowers and the wind in her face.



The past six months just flew out the window and there is so much to savor in the life of a growing child.  It’s like driving and while most things are a blur because you’re fixated on the road, there are things that catch your eye. A red door, a victorian house, a flame tree in full bloom and hard as you try to take it all in you can’t just hit the brakes and stop. So you take a photograph with your mind’s eye and recreate that image in your mind, but unlike a real picture you can never have the exact image on hand. 



I want to savor these little things. The milestones alone are incredible. Little things that are actually big things.


yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy

Now, her curious little hands love to touch and grab EVERYTHING. She’s discovered details, like buttons on her pants and (of all things) label tags. Holding a piece of paper with her fingers is amazing considering her hands, just a few months ago, didn’t even have the dexterity to pat a ball. Or to pull my hair. And to swat Daddy’s chin. 


So many fleeting moments in a day like the unique complexity of bubbles that pop even before you can get to them. I have to keep reminding myself how important it is to savor the small.  

Being with my daughter every single day since the day she was born, I would consider a privilege. I’m not going to lie and say that it’s all peachy. I’ve turned, quite literally into a human pacifier, there are areas of neglect around the house and there are breathless, whimpering days when a help me escapes my lips like a bat out of hell.  

Our baby’s half a year old. What a privilege and a gift it is to watch her grow and play and discover the world around her.




And to the world. Just you wait. A smile and her bright eyes and you are forever changed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...