Friday, March 23, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

There was a time when I was a banana bread purist. No nuts, no glaze, just a plain sweet slice of banana transcendence. 

But then, the internet happened.

I was looking through All Recipes.com looking for dinner ideas one afternoon when my eye caught sight of our fruit bowl and a bundle of extremely spotted bananas (which turned out to be worse looking than on the inside). So after searching for Banana Bread recipes, I came across one that seemed different from the rest. 

Within a few minutes, I gathered my constituents for a baking powwow and went to work. 



Gently tap the pan on the counter to even out the batter and to remove any air pockets. 


The recipe called for 1 hour and 10 minutes of baking time but after conducting my toothpick test, the bread wasn't cooked enough in my opinion, so I let it sit there for another 5 minutes. Or maybe I just wanted the neighbors to get a whiff of the lingering goodness that was baking in my oven.  

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
oh sweet lord.


Recipe and video link below. 

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
3 ripe bananas
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbs. milk
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (or 165 degrees C)
2.  Grease a 9x4 inch loaf pan.
3.  Mash ripe bananas in a bowl.
4.  Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
5.  Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
6.  Stir in the mashed bananas. 
7.  Add eggs to the mixture, one at a time - fully blending each egg before adding the next.
8.  Stir in the vanilla and the milk.
9.  Stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips until just incorporated.
10.Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Tap pan on the counter to release air pockets.  
11.Bake in pre-heated oven for * 1 hour and 10 minutes. (I added 5 minutes to mine) or until an inserted    wooden skewer comes out clean. 
12. Let the bread rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan. Slice and serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...