Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Change Gonna Come

Another pile of clothes to be stashed away today. With a dresser of fourdrawers oddly too small for a four month old, it’s off with the old and in with the new. Shirts that fall short of her adorable rubber band wrists are sent to a small mound that is a constant reminder of how fast she’s growing and how quickly she outgrows clothes. While I do look forward to so many firsts with her, the schmaltz of her first four months - of how much she’s grown, overcomes my proud and sappy heart.
While on the subject of change. I thought I would keep the tree and the rest of Christmaslinger through the entire month of January. Oh, how wrong I was. Apparently, as fast as the season creeps up on you, a lesson of letting go tags along its skirt tails. And when it’s done, it’s done. And as swiftly as the winds shift, Spring is a crisp, green leaf away with the gift of celebration and change. On a whim, without much thought, we took down the tree and boxed up the ornaments. I thought I’d feel sad but on the contrary, I felt hopeful. Very hopeful. Much reflection took place when taking them down. Twenty-Ten brought me the greatest joy I will ever know, and the most challenging yet. Our daughter: a spreading ray of sunny love. Moving onto the new year, I could quite literally see myself in mirrored globes with frosted snowflakes, moving around the room, putting things away, making space for more memories.
The tree, emptied of all it’s holiday adornment, is a blank slate for all the new year has to offer. (In which case, I expect to have a very, very full tree this year.)
The magic.
The sweetness.
The divine guidance and grace, the countless adventures and happiness Twenty-Eleven has to offer.
We’re going beyond rainbows, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...